APPLE PODCASTS | SOUNDCLOUD | SPOTIFY
Escape the heat by throwing yourself into the ocean, where fish-girls follow their dreams and land-men unfortunately disappoint.
This month on Metamashina, we dive into Hans Christian Andersen’s iconic fairy tale The Little Mermaid by covering some of its many movie adaptations. Highlights of the episode include a deliberation on the Prince’s Chad status, discussions on the inherent queerness of the fairy tale, and many divergences into a dreamy underwater landscape.
- The Little Mermaid/Anderusen Dōwa Ningyo Jhime (1975)
- The Little Mermaid/Malá Morská Víla (1976) (YouTube)
- The Little Mermaid/Rusalochka (1976) (YouTube)
- Dear Internet: The Little Mermaid Also Happens to Be Queer Allegory — Gabrielle Bellot, Literary Hub
- In Defence of the Conclusion to “The Little Mermaid” — Allie Dawson, The Artifice
- ‘The Little Mermaid’ Was Way More Subversive Than You Realized — Michael Landis, Smithsonian
- The Little Mermaid (1975 vs. 1989) Side-by-Side Comparison (YouTube)
- Why Ariel from ‘The Little Mermaid’ is an Overlooked Trans Icon — Lindsey Romain, Marie Claire
- Little Mermaid (1968) (YouTube)
- Malá Mořská Víla Soundtrack, by Zdeněk Liška/Remastered by Finders Keepers Records (2017)
- The Waterfire Saga, by Jennifer Donnelly
- UNDINE, by Fredrich De La Motte Fouque