APPLE PODCASTS | SOUNDCLOUD | SPOTIFY
What do bad breakups and cult indoctrination have in common? Resident expert on ritual sacrifice Dr. Hazel Monforton and Swedish correspondent/podcast husband David join us for an in-depth discussion on Ari Aster’s 2019 folk horror film Midsommar.
CW: Extremely heavy subject matter as per usual for horror films, as well as rumination on scapegoating, bad societal expectations, and shitty boyfriends.
- Midsommar (2019)
- From the Forests, Fields, Furrows and further: An Introduction by Andy Paciorek — Andy Paciorek, Folk Horror Revival
- Midsommar’s ableism resurrects the dark history of eugenics-inspired horror — Emma Madden, The Guardian
- ‘Midsommar’ Director Ari Aster on How a Bad Breakup Inspired His Horror Movie — Mackenzie Nichols, Variety
- Midsommar’s Portrayal of Bipolar: Why Do Horror Films Always Get Mental Health Wrong? — Natasha Hinde, Huffpost
- Bibliotekstjuven/The Library (2011)
- Evil (2003)
- Folk Horror Revival Community
- The Devil’s Rain (1975)
- The Ritual (2017)
- Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)