Robot women have existed since the dawn of time, but we’re just beginning to talk about them on Metamashina.
We start our series on ladies of the future with the 1927 silent film Metropolis, directed by Fritz Lang and reconstructed in 2010. The harpies get heavy on Marxism, history, feminine-coded maschinenmensch, and why we can all love both Freder and Faust.
- Metropolis (1927) (YouTube) — Link no longer available.
- The Making of Metropolis (1927) (YouTube) — Link no longer available.
- THE SANDMAN/DER SANDMANN, by E.T.A. Hoffmann
- THE FUTURE EVE, by Auguste Villiers de l’Isle-Adam, pub 1886
- The Architects of Doom (1989)
- THE UNCANNY, by Sigmund Freud
- Art Deco
- A Cyborg Manifesto: Science, Technology, and Socialist-Feminism in the Late Twentieth Century — Link no longer available
- Tower of Babel
- Aleister Crowley