Today we’re going to be covering a subject that’s very near and dear to our hearts: “Domestic” fantasy and the Sorcerer Husband trope. We discuss two novels with this classic twist: UPROOTED by Naomi Novik and HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE by Diana Wynne Jones (including the anime adaptation).
In these stories a plain-but-hard-working young woman is swept away by a handsome but helpless sorcerer. Together they break a witch’s curse and find love/domestic bliss. We also get into a VERY long tangent about fanfiction, and a brief soundbite on what we’re hoping to see in The Last Jedi.
- UPROOTED, by Naomi Novik
- HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE, by Diana Wynne Jones
- Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
- ATU 401 Animal Bride Tales — Link no longer available.
- THE FROG (PRINCESS), by Andrew Lang, The Violet Fairy Book
- ATU 425 Lost Husband Tales — Eros/Psyche, Beauty & the Beast — Link no longer available.
- THE GREEN SERPENT, by Madame D’Oulnay — Link no longer available.
- The Darkangel Trilogy, by Meredith Ann Pierce
- Spirited Away (2001)
- KAMISAMA HAJIMEMASHITA, by Suzuki Julietta
- Cinderella (2015)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995)
- HEART’S BLOOD, by Juliet Marillier
- Strictly Ballroom (1992)